Our Essex 2020 season
Essex 2020: A Year of Science and Creativity
Chelmsford Science and Engineering Society (CSES) celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2020. To mark the occasion the Society, in partnership with Anglia Ruskin University, bid to host the British Science Festival. We were successful in bringing this international festival to Essex for the first time its 189-year history.
We are therefore very pleased to announce our programme of special Essex 2020 events. Read on or see our events pages to find out what we've got planned.
A series of talks by high-profile speakers, whom we are privileged to welcome to Chelmsford, to mark the cenentary of CSES.
- Tue 31 Mar: Marconi and the Invisible Universe by Danielle George
- Fri 22 May: Two Wireless Ages – From Marconi's Wireless Telegraphy to the Internet of Things by Elizabeth Bruton
- Wed 10 Jun: Dame Nellie sings! A night that changed the world by Tim Wander
- Autumn/Winter: Leonardo keynote address TBC
- Autumn/Winter: Teledyne e2v keynote address TBC
We hope to introduce a regular annual high-profile keynote lecture slot in future years.
A series of events that showcase technology, innovations and the future of STEM in Essex by telling the story of our industrial heritage from (over) 100 years ago to now.
- Sun 7 Jun: Marconi: Past, Present and Future – an Exhibition at Hylands House (with Leonardo and Chelmsford Civic Society)
- Sat 13 – Sun 14 Jun: Marconi Gala at Teledyne e2v (with Chelmsford Festival)
- Tue 8 Sep – Tue 13 Oct (TBC): The CSES story – a birthday soirée, networking reception and exhibition
If you're thinking of a career in STEM or are interested in volunteering, these are a good opportunity!
My Smarter Essex
We will be holding a series of My Smarter Essex conferences throughout 2020, in partnership with Essex County Council and Anglia Ruskin University.
- Wed 29 Apr: Healthy Ageing and Independent Living
- Jun (TBC): Urban Development and Innovation
- Sep (TBC): Game-Changing 21st Century Technologies (for students)
- Tue 13 Oct (TBC): The Essex of the Future (part of our centenary celebrations – see above)
Imagine! STEM Club
Following a successful 2019 pilot, Imagine! is back with an expanded programme of masterclasses for Essex 2020.
- Thu 16 Apr: Electricity and the micro:bit
- Mon 25 May: Simple machines and bridges
- Wed 27 May: Our neuromuscular system
- Mon 27 – Wed 29 Jul: I need a holiday!
See the Imagine! STEM Club pages or the links above for session details and booking instructions.
This year's competition will be on Friday 26 June. For Essex 2020, we will be adding a new element into the judging which will focus on concept and design.
See the Schools' Competition pages for full details.
A new project for Essex 2020. Students will work to create a multimedia, theatrical performance based on local historical figures and people's memories of our industrial heritage. Details to be confirmed: watch this space!
We will be taking part in PhysicsFest as usual on Sunday 4 October. See our events pages for further details.
Find out more
Our events pages (will) have all the details of the above events and our usual programme.
Please keep an eye on the website and, if you are a member, look out for updates by email.
If you're not yet a member, now is the time to sign up!
We look forward to seeing you at one of our events and celebrating this special year.