Chelmsford Science and Engineering Society (CSES) is the hub of Engineering, Technology and Science in Chelmsford, Essex and the surrounding areas.
Our objectives and purpose can be summarised in three words:
explore · educate · expand
Our mission is to:
- Develop tomorrow's potential engineers, technologists and scientists by enabling, stimulating and fostering high-quality and inclusive provision for science and engineering in education.
- Underpin today's network for professionals and those with a general interest, advancing public understanding of science and engineering and their benefit to mankind.
- Celebrate and preserve yesterday's heritage, particularly that of Chelmsford's renowned engineering and industrial history.
Please click the links above or scroll down to read more.
We are a key provider and coordinator of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) activities, mentoring and financial support in the Chelmsford area. These are for school students, undergraduates and recent graduates, and are designed to both stimulate an interest in engineering and open up possible career paths.
Recognising the crucial importance of maintaining the UK's industrial skills base, we actively promote, enable and support the provision of STEM in education, particularly in an extra-curricular context.
CSES brings together engineers, technologists and scientists in Chelmsford and the surrounding areas, providing a social and professional network for this large and important group of people.
We deliver an exciting and varied programme of events for our members. This includes regular lectures, friendly social and networking events and an entertaining annual dinner. We welcome professionals from recently-graduated to retired, and those who have a general interest in the sciences, engineering and technology.
The society is sponsored by, and partnered with, a number of organisations, and is run by a Council who meet regularly to manage the day-to-day running of the society and to perform longer-term strategic planning.
- Learn more about what we offer for our members
- View upcoming events for our members and the public
- See who's on the Council
- Find out who our sponsors and partners are
- Browse other organisations in our network
Chelmsford is world-famous for its engineering heritage, and has been the home to some household names including Marconi, Hoffman Bearings, Crompton & Co, the English Electric Valve Company and Britvic. Even today many firms, or their modern equivalents, are based here. CSES goes right back through this history, having been formed as the Chelmsford Engineering Society in 1920.