Career development and volunteering opportunities with CSES
As it enters its centenary season, CSES (Chelmsford Science and Engineering Society) is looking for new volunteers to grow the core team and drive forward its recently launched strategy.
Are you looking for an opportunity to develop your career beyond the immediate day job? Perhaps you have some time to spare and would like to spend it supporting a local charity? Or do you enjoy volunteering for STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) education and would like to be more involved?
This is an excellent chance to make a real difference to our community. CSES volunteers actively contribute to, and influence, what goes on locally by representing a respected body and working with a wide range of other organisations, including local government, the education sector and businesses. It is also a chance to grow your network, whether personal or professional.
Remember: any time spent volunteering for CSES counts as Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and is a perfect complement – or coda (we know plenty of retired people enjoy this sort of thing!) – to a career in the STEAM or education sectors. We are already affiliated in some way with many local employers – and want to build relationships with more – working with us is good for your progression and employment prospects.
There are three specific areas where we are looking for more people:
Strategic development group
- Seeking excellent career progression opportunity?
- Passionate about the ‘big issues’ such as net-zero carbon and use of data / AI?
- Help us to map out the major issues and bring the right private and public sector partners together to drive change within Essex.
Community partnerships and network
- Want to make a difference to your local community at grassroots level?
- Enjoy working with others and/or looking to make new connections?
- Help us to build a network of similar organisations across Essex to share our resources and give the public wider visibility of events and activities.
Public engagement and educational events
- Enjoy making things happen and running with new ideas?
- Can you, for example, put together events, run projects and workshops, produce videos or come up with innovative ways of engaging online?
- Help us to expand and diversify our programme for schools and for the public to bring science and technology to all.
Read on to find out more about each of these. We are also always looking for people who can help in a more ad hoc capacity with specific projects and events.
CVC Components Ltd, formally known as The Chelmer Valve Co Ltd, are looking to recruit a new engineer.
Due to the increase of reverse-engineering work undertaken (currently subcontracted out), CVC Components has taken the decision to start a new in-house department.
- Analysing working and non-working samples, in order to rebuild a working PCB.
- You must be able to perform functional testing, fault finding, reverse engineering and be able to repair a variety of Electronic PCBs.
- Record failures and document any repair work undertaken.
- Hand-assembly, final testing and packing of completed Electronic Systems.
- Generating test results for in-house records and for accompanying customer deliveries.
- Generating and amending test documentation as required.
- Ensuring up-to-date calibration of test equipment.
- Fault-finding to component level on PCBs.
- You will be required to conduct basic board-level component training once a month for sales staff.