Ideas for your school
There are many opportunities for students to get involved in engineering, science and technology. This article contains some ideas and relevant links to get you started:
- STEM clubs and projects
- Events and exhibitions
- Scholarships and bursaries
- Placements and work experience
- Education programmes
- Trips and tours
Please contact the Webmaster to provide additional ideas, to tell us about broken links, and to share your experience of any of these activities.
STEM clubs and projects
Set up a Young Engineers Club at your school.
This is an organisation which supports schools in encouraging students to get involved with engineering. Their website contains lots of ideas for STEM activities and competitions and support includes bursaries for clubs.
Set up a STEM Club at your school or join the CSES STEM Club.
You could take part in a STEM Challenge or any of the other activities listed on this page. Funding for STEM Clubs is available from CSES via the STEM Club Bursary.
Run an engineering scheme in your school such as:
- Go4SET (for year 8 or 9)
- Engineering Education Scheme (for year 12)
- A project leading to a CREST award
Events and exhibitions
Bring your older students to one of our Engineering our Future events (usually aimed at years 9-13) or to My Smarter Essex.
Find details of upcoming CSES events for schools here.
Invite external providers in to run STEM events at your school such as:
Encourage your students to take part in STEM competitions such as:
- Our annual Schools' Engineering and Technology Competition
- First Lego League
- Selex ES Rampaging Chariots
- IMechE Schools' Aerospace Challenge
- The Big Bang science and engineering fair
- This incorporates many other competitons such as the CREST awards, The Young Engineers Awards, Young Engineer for Britain
- Formula Schools
Promote and support your students in applying for residential engineering courses such as:
Scholarships and bursaries
- Promote the Arkwright Scholarship to your year 11 DT students.
- Apply to the Chelmsford Science and Engineering Society STEM Club Bursary
Placements and work experience
Promote and support your students in applying for engineering placements such as:
Investigate organisations' and companies' education programmes such as:
- BAE Systems educational programme
- IET teachers' resources
- IET Faraday Primary
- IET Faraday Secondary
- Royal Institution
- The British Science Association
Trips and tours
Run trips to places such as:
- The National Space Centre
- The Science Museum
- Local engineering companies
- The annual national Big Bang Fair
- University events