CSES Imagine! Environmental Challenge
Today, modern society suffers many forms of pollution, litter in our streets, fumes in our towns and plastic waste in the oceans.
CSES hopes to encourage the young people of Essex to become aware of the (mainly human) activities which result in this pollution and IMAGINE! ways in which the pollution can be reduced or eliminated, or circumventions can be put in place to reduce the risk to the environment or human health.
This first of several challenges invites pupils currently in Years 6 or 7, individually or in teams of up to four (please check Covid tier rules for your area before planning a team venture) to investigate the risks posed to people just by walking to school or through a particular area of their Town Centre.
There are many different things you could consider:
- Why you chose a particular area?
- Whether the pollution is worse at certain times of the day?
- What is causing the pollution?
- What harm to people or the local environment does the pollution cause?
- Whether the pollution causes permanent damage?
- What part of the body or local environment does the pollution effect? (You may like to include a diagram)
- What could be done to reduce the pollution?
Participants will be sent a “Details of Investigation” form which will help to document the research undertaken and which will be submitted to the British Science Association for consideration for a CREST Discovery Award.
CREST is a scheme that inspires young people to think and behave like Scientists and Engineers. For details see https://www.crestawards.org/crest-discovery.
The final date for submission is 26 March 2021 and the project must be completed by 9 April.
If you are a child less than 13 years of age please ask your parent or guardian first.