Chelmsford Science and Engineering Society (CSES) is the hub of Engineering, Technology and Science in Chelmsford, Essex and the surrounding areas.
Our objectives and purpose can be summarised in three words:
explore · educate · expand
Our mission is to:
- Develop tomorrow's scientists, engineers and technologists through high-quality and inclusive STEM education.
- Underpin today's social and professional network for, and advance the public understanding of, science, engineering and technology.
- Celebrate and preserve yesterday's heritage, including Essex's renowned engineering and industrial history.
Please click the links above or scroll down to read more.
You may also want to read our plan on a page or constitution.
Tomorrow's scientists, engineers and technologists
We are a key provider and coordinator of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) education activities, mentoring and financial support in the local area. These are for students at school and home, undergraduates and recent graduates, and are designed to both stimulate an interest in engineering and open up possible career paths.
Recognising the crucial importance of maintaining the UK's industrial skills base, we actively promote, enable and support the provision of STEM in education, particularly in an extra-curricular context.
Today's social and professional network
CSES brings together STEM professionals and those who have an interest in technical subjects, providing a social and professional network for this large and important group of people.
We deliver an exciting and varied programme of events for our members. This includes regular lectures, friendly social and networking events and an entertaining annual dinner. We welcome students, professionals at all stages in their career, and indeed anyone who has a general interest in the sciences, engineering and technology.
We are sponsored by, and partner with, a number of organisations. The society is run by a Committee who meet regularly to manage day-to-day aspects and to perform longer-term strategic planning.
- Learn more about what we offer for our members
- View upcoming events for our members and the public
- See who's on the Council and Committee
- Find out who our sponsors and partners are
- Browse other organisations in our network
Essex, and particularly Chelmsford, is world-famous for its engineering heritage, having been home to household names including Marconi, Hoffman, Crompton, English Electric Valve and Britvic. Even today many of these firms, or their modern equivalents, are based here.
CSES is very much part of this history, having been formed as the Chelmsford Engineering Society in 1920 by representatives of the local companies.